Thursday, December 24, 2009

Guatemala National show

Thanksgiving day I traveled to Guatemala city to visit with my boyfriend and his family, and also to attend the National Peruvian horse show of Guatemala. Renzo Crolle Claux came from Peru to judge.

They always start the show off on Friday night with a cocktail & dinner. Its really great because everyone has a chance to hangout before the competition starts the next day. One thing that stood out to me was that the majority of the members and BOD are the "younger" generation - its such a family activity there that are multiple generations working to put on a great event! This is something glaringly lacking in the US.

Andres had 9 horses exhibiting in the show. He had several of the younger horses ready for their first time. They won several halter classes - 1st place with JAP Tizana, 1st place JAP Mina, and 1st place with JAP Maximus. JAP Mina went on to be the National Champion Halter Filly! She is really exceptional and has won since her first shows, but this was her first championship.

Later that day I rode in the Mares 6-7 class on SBA Venus and placed 5th. Next up was MVH Melodia, the dam of JAP Mina. Melodia won her class, and went on to win Champion Mare! Mother and daughter in the same day! I also exhibited WER Gacela in the zootechnico class, where she won the top honors.

For something fun, the association decided to hold their first champagne class! A whole bunch of people got into the fun. Of course everyone said I was going to win (and I did ;-), but it was so much fun I don't think anyone cared. Franky Marcucci Sr. and Fernando Jarquin had more fun sipping the champagne than riding! Fernando lent me his great pisos mare Gema to ride.

Sunday I got a great surprise - I was named "mejor montador" or Best Rider by the judge. The head trainer for Criadero la Laguna, Julio Arias also won "mejor Jalador" or Best halter trainer. It was a great honor for both of us! We also had a great party at the ranch, making pizzas in the wood fire oven and looking at all the horses.

I had a great time getting to know several breeders from Panama and Ecuador who were there visiting. I hope to make it to the National show in Panama in January!

No comments: